I really wanted to grill outside but it’s 100° so I decided that I really didn’t feel like cooking today.So I opened the refrigerator and as I stood and stared, I found that everything I looked at jumped into my head as an Italian pasta salad.When I looked in the pantry for the pasta, I also found a can of tuna and BINGO, the Italian pasta salad with tuna was born. And I made enough so that I can take some to work this week. Did I mention that there is no Mayonnaise?
Italian Pasta Salad with Tuna
A quick and easy side dish or meal, great to make and eat on a hot day when you don't feel like cooking.
- 1 Cup Small pasta I used orzo
- 1 Cup Fresh spinach Roll and cut into ribbons, packed
- 1/4 Cup Red onion Finely diced
- 1/4 Cup Olives I used kalamata
- 1/2 Cup Cherry tomatoes Halved or quartered
- 1/4 Cup Sun-dried tomatoes in oil Chopped
- 1 Can Albacore tuna in water You can use 2 cans, I only had one
- 1/4 Cup Mozzarella cheese Diced or shredded
- 1/4 Cup Olive oil Extra virgin
- 1 Tbsp Lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper To taste
Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package, I cook mine to al dente. Drain and add to large bowl.
While the pasta is boiling, prep your ingredients. Add the ingredients (except for the cheese) to the bowl of pasta. Toss until combined.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake or wisk until combined. Add the dressing and toss again.
Taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper if needed. Add cheese and fold gently.
Serve as a side dish or pack for lunch. Because it is mayo free, it will last for a few days in the refrigerator.