Who doesn’t love a warm hug? The kitchen smells so warm and inviting and when you take a bite, this dish gives you that warm hug from the inside out!Warm Moroccans spices like ground Coriander, Cumin and Cinnamon with the sweetness of apricots and the spiciness of red pepper flakes and Calabrian chilies – This is a combination that will wow your senses and send them to a comforting place they have never been! And this is before it goes into the 400° oven for two hours!
Finished with the addition of Swiss chard and creamy Mascarpone Italian cream cheese and this was a perfect “long day” comfort dish.
Moroccan Lamb Stew
Warm spices make this lamb stew a perfect comfort dish!
- 1 pound boneless leg of lamb cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apricots diced small
- 1 20- ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup pomegranate vinegar red wine vinegar would work too
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups swiss chard Chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley Chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone
- 1/4 tsp Calabrian Chili paste This is very hard and you can omit if sensitive to heat
Preheat oven to 400°
In a Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot, melt the butter over mediu heat. Add the lamb, onion, garlic, the spices, red pepper flakes, Calabrian chilis, apricots and vinegar.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the aroma of the spices is strong, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add chickpeas and stock, bring just to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover and place in the oven until the lamb is very tender, about 2 hours.
Add the Swiss chard and continue to cook, until wilted, about 8-10 minutes more. Remove from the oven.
Stir in parsley, lemon juice, and Mascarpone cheese. Enjoy!