Tortilla chips with chili pepper, cumin, garlic powder, jalapeño peppers, smoked paprika, oregano, and a little lime give this Tilapia unbelievable favor!Add avocado for a creamy texture and it takes this dish to another level.
Tortilla Crusted Baked Tilapia
From drab to fab, spicy and crunchy tortilla chips and a few spices make this tilapia a dish you'll make over and over.
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 jalapeño pepper ribs and seeds removed, Diced small
- 4 tilapia fillets 6 ounces each
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour for dredging
- 1 tsp kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Preheat oven to 400° Place a wire rack on a baking pan and set aside.
In a food processor (you can also pound in a zip top bag and add jalapeños after), mix together tortilla chips, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and jalapeño. Pulse into crumbs. Pour into a shallow bowl or plate.
In a bowl, whisk together eggs and 1 tablespoon lime juice, salt & pepper.
Add flour to another plate with paprika and oregano, salt and pepper.
Season tilapia fillets with salt & pepper then dredge in flour, dip into the egg and then into the seasoned chips, press to adhere crumbs.
Bake 15-18 minutes or until the fish flakes or come to 145° Remove from oven.
Serve with rice, lime wedge and top with avocado. Enjoy!